The cover letter is an art in itself!
The letter is just as important when applying for a job as your CV and the application itself. It's vital to make the right impression through your cover letter as it'll be one of the first things an employer will see.
Not sure where to start? Here are five simple top tips to get you going...
1) Your cover letter has to be related to the position you are applying for. Make sure it focuses on all your relevant skills and experience to the job. Rewrite it for every job you apply for to make you stand out from the crowd.
2) Make sure you refer to the job advert; this will make you appear focused and directed. If you know who it is to be addressed to use their name to keep it personal, if not have a look on the company's website or give them a call.
3) Include key words that are relevant to the position in your cover letter.
4) Set it out right! Make sure it's set out like a formal letter. This will ensure you appear professional and employable. Either put your contact details at the top of the page or next to your name at the end of the letter. Don't make it too long, a couple of paragraphs will do. Use an online template or check out some other online example letters to help you but be sure to make it your own.
5) To finish it off, suggest the best way to contact you and thank the employer for their time. Being polite will make the employer's opinion of you more positive when reading your CV.